Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A UFO...

 HI Y'all!  Well, above is a genuine UFO!  I made these blocks as part of a quilt along with Judy L, some years ago.  I made the mistake of ironing (not pressing) the heck out of the blocks, stretching them quite badly. So in the closet they went, to become a UFO.  Sadly, they beckoned to me..."give us another chance, they cried!"  I took them out, sashed them with skinny sashing, and put this border on, the only reason being because those fabrics were the ones folded with the blocks.  So there!  So what if it doesn't go!!  The border actually fits pretty well, but each block has some ballooning in it.
 See the balloons (puffy blocks?)  I think it will quilt out, if I do it by hand, baptist fans...I am going to give it a try!  At least it is all in one piece...I am really quite pleased with it!  Perfectionist, I am certainly not...the journey is great fun, and my quilts are made to be used, so it is all OK.
And a few more Barrister's blocks!  Six inch blocks...loving these!!



SCRAPS and STRINGS!!  You know who you are...thank you so much, I did a little happy dance and cried a little happy bawl... and strings are being sorted and projects planned...yippee!!!!




**********************Nurse's Notes*************************


I was called in yesterday to take a heart at work...that means recover a fresh heart surgery patient, (bypass) straight from the operating room.  Stable...that is always good!  So glad to be able to work and be productive.  I am thinking about school again, more nursing....or history?  I love that!!!  But what in the world would I do with that sort of degree, except enjoy learning??

Just thinkin'...

****************************************

Have a great day!


Julie

20 comments:

Lois Arnold said...

Julie, this is a very happy quilt! My mom always said it will quilt out when something was a bit puffy. She made tons of quilts and all have been used and some abused, probably. Her quilts were made with love, not perfection in mind. You go girl!

Loris said...

Good for you, finishing another UFO. I just finished learning to de-bone a shirt watching a Bonnie Hunter video :-)
Recovering heart patients was my very favorite job...they were challenging at first and then they often did so well. I'm glad they are keeping you busy!

Nicky said...

The border makes it really stand out!

Kyle said...

Your quilt is so bright and cheerful. The border looks great. Yes, we all say, That'll quilt out". Have fun.

~Joan said...

So cool that they are different colors of the same print. Very cheery.

Kim said...

What kind of more nursing? Administration?

Love the new quilt top......nicely done! Perfect is so overrated....give me done anytime!

Happy sewing

Sue SA said...

Love the fact the UFO's are so quick to complete and better finished (maybe imperfect)but used and loved then incomplete!

Mary said...

Amazing as always! I love the perky colors! Your so awesome!

Angie said...

I think it's a happy quilt, too, and a wonderful labor of love. I love the border you chose to make for it. :) Happy 4th of July

Vic in NH said...

Your bright border looks marvelous and kinda counterbalances the white background. Good job! Glad you liked the strings!

Janet O. said...

How good of you to get that poor, forgotten quilt out of hiding and give it a life! It is so colorful and happy. And yes, it will quilt out. : )
Your Barrister's Blocks look great. Did I remember that you were doing the Sow-Along? I'm not sure. Would love to see your blocks all together.
Nothing wrong with learning just for the fun of it--except it sure is expensive these days.

Binsa said...

Hello Julie, another one bites the dust....I think the balloning should quilt out......you are such a productive quilter...whew....hugs O'faigh

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh wow! You have done some wonderful quilts since I last visited! I know, I've been missing out on things. Work just got in the way. I especially love the rectangle zig zag strippy quilt you did! But actually I loved everything!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love the quilt, it's a happy one.

Anita in Florida said...

Love your quilt, the border is great!

Vesuviusmama said...

You are inspiring me to complete some of my languishing projects instead of always starting something new. It looks great!

Merilyn said...

Great little 'stars' quilt top, and I think the quilting will sort out any ballooning too!!!! Your little 6" blocks are looking pretty!!!

Helen in the UK said...

Love the colours of your UFO. The ballooning doesn't look too bad in the photos, so sure hope it quilts out ok. Looks like it's going to make a great quilt :)

Mary said...

I saw your pretty pink quilt that you made for Kathy W in Canada and clicked over. I scrolled down and found your UFO that is just like mine...from Judy L. I need to get mine bordered and quilted too. Have fun quilting it. I will do stars on mine. I don't know why the quilts return to the UFO closet when they are so close to being FINISHED? Do you???

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You have been sewing up a storm. That rescue quilt is LOVELY!!! Good job!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...