Thursday, October 17, 2013

Called off work today...

 Well, I am up to three rows out of the eight rows done...and all the sashing is done!  So now it is just fun and easy string piecing.  I like the underlying zig-zag pattern, like the flying geese are floating on the top of the quilt.
Another view.

I went to the library today, and got some quilting books...love them!  Our library has very few quilting books, so I go to a neighboring town, and that library is wonderful!  Two whole shelves of quilting books and videos!!





*****************Nurse's Notes*************************

I was put on call at work again today.  That means I lose a day of work.  I hate it!  Using PTO to get paid, which means my vacation time is being spent this way instead of on vacation. You really cannot go too far from the house, because they might call you in at any time.  All for $2.00 dollars an hour.  I had to call and get permission to go the library.  I really miss the old days of no floating, and knowing that you would work every day you were assigned.  Aggravating!!  Wondering what to do about this situation....



Julie

17 comments:

Lois Arnold said...

It is wonderful, Julie! I'm drooling! I used to love the library, but since we moved to the boonies, I'm in a different county. I have not checked out the library in the little town nearby. I think I could use the Maricopa system, but would have to pay a fee since I'm out of county. Too bad working in the county doesn't change that!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Our library is part of a system of libraries - so I can go online and see what books are on the shelves of all the other libraries and then order any I want to be picked up at my library. Of course, there's a day or two wait for the books but I try to plan ahead as much as possible. It certainly saves the cost and aggravation of driving to a neighboring town. I didn't even know that I could do that until my neighbor told me. ;-)

Angie said...

Your quilt is soooo gorgeous, Julie girl---I want one JUST LIKE it. :)

Jan said...

I love the geese and strings together-----very nice!

Leeanne said...

I was going to say 'cool no work' but I guess we all need the $$$.
BTW.....the quilt is looking great!

Missy Shay said...

Was this your own design or did you get it out of a book? I love it!

Kim said...

2/hr for being on call.....ridiculous, I got more than that in 1987! Is there another place in town to work?

On the other hand you did get some great piecing done on this delightful scrappy quilt! It is looking lovely.

Happy Sewing

Janet O. said...

This quilt is such a feast of color and movement for the eyes! You always come up with wonderful ways to create with strings and scraps!

Anne Heidi said...

Your quilt is lovely! Sorry to hear about your work troubles, hope they realize they need all the nurses at work instead of on call!

Barb said...

your string piecing and flying geese are great.
$2.00? My jaw is dropping. that is crazy!

Pat said...

Your quilt is wonderful. I'm really sorry to hear about this on-call stuff you need to tolerate at work. My daughter is in a health-field (medical biller/coder) and she, too, sometimes must use accumulated PTO in order to get paid for a day that they tell folks to "stay home". It is hard to plan family vacations for a young family when the mom's PTO is eaten away like that. :(

regan said...

Yet another gorgeous quilt that we're all gonna want to copy! Thanks! And I was just going through your last couple of posts.....where have I been? How did I miss them? I'm getting a cup of coffee, and sitting down to go through them now!

Thanks so much for all your inspiration! You're amazing!

Lori said...

By the time I'm ready to leave a comment you've posted again! lol That is a great quilt!

Nancy said...

Another beauty!

I had no idea that "on call" paid so poorly. Praying your situation is remedied soon.

LuAnn said...

Just love that quilt;anything with strings is great!

ana s. said...

Our huge library has at least 7 full columns of shelves of quilting books just at the Central Library. They keep them up to date with new additions too.

Patty H. said...

That stinks about your pay for on call. Probly doesn't even pay for your gas to get there.
The quilt is very pretty!!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...