Sunday, May 13, 2018

Borders!


 I got the red border on the log cabin quilt, but now I am trying to figure out a small outer border...a "pull border", so that when the quilt is yanked around with hands pulling it up around their shoulders, that the pieced logs don't get pulled on.  I have seen many antique quilts very much pulled out of shape from years of use, so I want a little something there...

And so it begins...the silly little quest, yet kinda important to me, of picking the correct border, out of my stash.  Wheww!  Let me think on it, and choose and see what the quilt is asking for.  
My darling friend Marilyn painted this for me.  She is a retired nurse, a quilter, and an amazing artist too.  This is a water color barn...and I just love it.  Thank you, Marilyn!







******************Nurse's Notes**********************


My patient of the week is very, very sick.  He probably won't make it...now this is graphic, so skip it if you are not interested.  He has been in and out of the hospital for several months, and has had multiple amputations...both feet, lots of fingers, is dependent on oxygen and several drips to sustain him.

And yet?  He greets me with a big smile, hugs!  and "There is my angel nurse!"  He greets everyone the same, and loves us all, and we love him too...and his darling wife of 53 years, and his three beautiful daughters!!

I feel small complaining about ANYTHING, when there is a man, who has every reason to be bitter and depressed, spreading love around like pixie dust.  Oh what a self actualized, sweet man...I am so fortunate to be a nurse!!!


***********************************



Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there...and this includes dog moms and all the rest of people who nurture anything and anyone!!!





Julie

11 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

An attitude of gratitude makes life's struggles manageable. Bless your sweet patient and those who care for him.

I usually add a "pull border" to my quilts, too.

Happy Mother's Day!

Karen said...

Your friend Marilyn is a good artist. I've always wished I could draw and paint. Not my talent.

Ivani said...

Here in Brazil yesterday was Nurse's Day, so here goes my gratitude for people like you.
Beautiful painting your friend is sure an artist. I will be looking forward to see whats your quilt asks for the outer border. Happy Mother's Day!

Quilting Babcia said...

I never heard the term pull border before, but find that I do just that, almost never leaving small piece work at the edges of a quilt. I like the blue test border you showed, I think there is still a small bit of that fabric in my stash. What a beautiful painting, your friend is very talented! Blessings to your sweet patient and his wonderful family.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a pull border and I usually don't put borders on my quilts. But after reading this, I might start putting borders on. Thanks for sharing.

Randy D. said...

I love your log cabin blocks/quilt?
And the story about your patient is very sobering!
Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Randy

Kyle said...

Finding the perfect fabric especially from the stash, can be challenging. Hope you're able to pull out just the right one. Your blue sample actually looks great.

Sherrill said...

Awww, your little patient has the best nurse around!! You're both lucky to have each other. LOVE your beautiful new painting. Marilyn is truly gifted!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Adore that quilt in your header, btw. Love your current projects too. That is quite an exemplary patient! We all take a lesson from him. And you are obviously so kind to him and the family.

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

Such a sweet man, I can only hope to be so grateful as him in hard times. Your quilt is pretty and your gift is just so lovely. Thank you.

Janet O. said...

I really like that blue plaid for the border. You can never go wrong with plaid, right? :)
What a beautiful water color. Very talented friend!
Oh, your patient reminds me of my Dad, even in his dying days. Each person that came to see him was told they were amazing or wonderful, or something similar. He would thank them for coming and tell them how much they meant to him. In his frail state he even asked his oldest grandson if he could do anything for him, and finally decided he could pray for him and his family. There on his deathbed he is praying for their well being--never giving a thought to his own condition and comfort.

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...